Items in Bypass represent sellable items. When creating an Item, you can customize the items name, price, appearance, and more. This article will explain how to prepare Items to be sold.
Table of Contents
- Creating an Item
- Item Details
- Tax Groups and Reporting Groups
- Inventory and Tracking
- Menus and Overrides
Items are the most basic building blocks of a menu. Items are stored in a menu and are organized by Menu Categories.
If you use Bypass inventory then Stock Items will be the lowest level of organization. For more information on Stock, Items click here.
Creating an Item
To begin creating a new Item, navigate to POS Manager > Menu Manager in the left side navigation bar in Bypass Manager. Click the green Create button in the top right of the screen to open the new item details.
Items have a handful of sections to fill out. Those sections are:
- Item Details - Basic details like name and price
- Groups - The item's reporting and tax groups
- Inventory and Tracking - Connect recipes to items to track inventory
- Modifier Groups - Modifiers allows items to have options (A drink can have modifiers for small, medium, and large sizes)
- Menus and Overrides - Add the item to a menu to appear on POS and Kiosk
The Item detail section appears at the top of the edit panel. The fields are as follows:
- Name - The name of the item as it will appear in non-customer facing areas
- Display Name - The name of the item as it will appear in customer-facing areas
- Type - The type of item controls how it functions on the Register
- Standard Item - Item with price
- Weighted - Item with a price per ounce
- Gift Card - Item that sales a stored-value gift card
- Open Price - An Item that prompts with a price when tapped
- Image - The item Image will display in customer-facing areas
- Default Price - The default price the item will have when added to a menu
- Category - Where on the menu the item will be organized
- Weight - The price per ounce
- Description - The description of the item as it appears in customer-facing areas
- Alcoholic Item - Flags this Item as Alcoholic
The above example shows that the 20oz Coffee will appear on the Register and in Bypass Manager as "20oz Coffee". On Kiosk, it will show up as "Large Coffee."
Tax Groups and Reporting Groups
In the Groups section, you can add a Tax Group and a Reporting Group.
The Tax Group automatically adds tax to the Item at check out. Learn more about Tax Groups here.
The Reporting Group can report on groups of similar Items in the same group. Learn more about Reporting Groups here.
Inventory and Tracking
Note: Inventory is only available for customer that opt into Bypass Inventory
Scrolling down to the Inventory and Tracking section will show the Sku and the Recipe fields.
You can add the Items Sku (Stock Keeping Unit) in the Sku field.
A Recipe is a collection of one or more stock Items used to track inventory. When creating or editing an Item, you can add an existing recipe to the Item here. To learn more about Recipes, click here.
Modifier Groups are collections of one or more modifiers that can adjust an Item. To add a Modifier Group, type the name of the Modifier Group in the text field.
When adding a Modifier Group If the Modifier Group exists, it will show up as you type. If the modifier group doesn't exist, then the field will prompt to create it. To learn more about Modifier Groups, click here.
Menus and Overrides
Scrolling down in the edit panel will show the Menus and Overrides section. Here you can attach this Item to an existing Menu.
Search for the name of the menu you want to attach to the Item. When you select a menu, a Menu Item details page will appear in the center of the screen. Here you can change the Price of the Item and what Print Group.